Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Auto-suggestion


 

Instead, therefore, of bowing to every pressure without exercising any discernment or
control, instead of allowing your imagination to run riot, you will ask your imagination
to supply your subconscious with words and images that will gradually influence and
re-shape it.
So how should you go about this in practical terms? What steps should you take?
First and foremost, you must be calm and learn to control your thoughts as well as
your actions, because without a calm and sober attitude there will be no mastery, no
inner tranquillity, no order or concentration, no clear and considered thoughts, no
single-minded action.
If you can reduce tension and agitation, this will enable you to control the impulses
engendered by your senses and emotions, to govern your thoughts and to enhance
your magnetic potential.
Every evening, practice a session of auto-suggestion. Shut yourself in a dark or dimly
lit room. Lie on your bed or find a comfortable position that allows you to completely
relax. Sense the heaviness in each of your limbs and keep perfectly still - it’s much
easier than people generally think - quietly close your eyes, don’t think about
anything, or rather concentrate on your breathing, feel yourself breathe.
As you gradually train yourself, you will be able to attain this relaxed and mentally
isolated state more and more quickly.
After winding down like this for a few minutes, you can begin the actual autosuggestion
process using phrases like: “I feel calm; I feel calmer every day; I am in
perfect control of myself; my movements are steady, my voice is firm, my behaviour
is relaxed ...”
Then replace these phrases with images or better still a “film” which re-runs the day
that has just gone by. Re-live it, and replay in your mind the moments when you were
dissatisfied with the way you reacted or behaved, when you were too agitated, hasty
or timid. Re-live all these moments, but replacing your actual behaviour with the
behaviour you wish you had displayed and will display in the future.
Soon (the session doesn’t have to last long - ten or twelve minutes will be enough),
you can allow yourself to drift to sleep. But the impression made by these images will
remain in your subconscious, and the proof of this will be the gradual progress you
see, right from the first few days.
There is one important point that must be emphasised: stick to positive phrases like:
“I am ... I can ... I am becoming ...” rather than “I am not ...” or “I am no longer ...”
and don’t use formulae that express wishes, such as “I want ...” or worse “I don’t
want ...”

No comments:

Post a Comment