Tuesday, December 28, 2010

One day, my grandfather, who was suffering from a fatty cyst, took me with him to see the healer. In the waiting room as we waited our turn there was a pretty birdcage that contained several birds some of which were completely still while others chirruped and flapped their wings with great spirit. There were little canaries and coloured parrots, making quite a lovely sight. The contrast between the lively birds and the ones that seemed frozen with fear fascinated me. When the healer came out of his room to collect my grandfather, he opened the birdcage and, with a couple of gestures, awakened the birds that had quite simply been in a light hypnotic state. He used to make each of them in turn sleep just so he could demonstrate his power to his customers! And as an impressionable seven-year-old child, I was indeed amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment